Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sex sells

When does the "sex sells" mentality go too far? Should we have the freedom to write an advertise anything we want? Should there be boundaries?

I have a lot of trouble answering these questions. I fully support the Libertarian notion of "Minimum Government, Maximum Freedom." I also support the idea that freedom should not come at the expense of hurting another person. So what does hurt mean? Physical? Psychological? Does objectification count?

I saw a NYT article today about Manga comic books, which originate in Japan. They depict young girls in sexual and compromising positions. People on one side of the fence call it perverted, others call it freedom of speech. I think it's perverted. I do. But does that go against my belief in freedom? This entry really didn't come to a conclusion - I just wanted to throw the topic out there and see where it leads. I'll ponder this one a bit more and reflect later.

What are your thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment