Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Inspired by Tamara de Lempicka

I first saw Tamara de Lempicka's artwork at a club in Dublin and immediately fell in love. Unfortunately, there was so signature at the bottom of the print, and none of the staff knew where it came from. I saw her again at Cuff's in Boston's Back Bay Hotel, but once again there was no signature on the painting. Somehow I managed to search through enough "art deco" before I rediscovered her!

Lempicka glorified females in her work by nearly always painting the "provocative woman." She was also openly bisexual in the 1920s, which was rather scandalous for that time. I'm inspired by her because she was able to fearlessly expressed herself both personally and professionally. I think that's something we can all learn from.




























No comments:

Post a Comment