Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I want a Darth Vader child

T, I have to agree with you that most of the ads seem to be targeted at men, which is sort of funny because most of the women I know watch the Superbowl only for the ads (including myself). My pick of this year was Volkswagen's: The Force commercial. It featured the cutest little kid attempting to gather up the force within him to make objects move, turn on the car, etc. This spot actually made me want to have children (topic for another day). The thing I loved about it was the type of humor they used. T's right - a lot of the Super Bowl commercials use "boy club humor." I think a lot of advertisers forget that just because men love football, doesn't mean they're the only ones watching on Super Bowl sunday.

According to Treehugger, 40% of people watching the Super Bowl are not football fans. That's a serious number of people who don't fit the stereotype of sports fanatic or "bro." I think this is one of the reasons, VW's commercial was so successful (21,515,239 views on VW's YouTube channel alone). It wasn't a typical car commercial trying to entice men into buying a shiny object. It was a quirky, funny spot that captured something anyone could connect with: childhood. It brought us back to how we acted when we were little - how we thought we had the power to do anything - and that's special. It's a "force" to be reckoned with.



No comments:

Post a Comment