Friday, February 18, 2011

What We Imagine vs. What is Seen

Ok, so I have these pants that I love. They're from H & M and they are very cerca 1970. Now my boyfriend hates them. He always points out how dated they look. Do I care? No, I continue to try and make these pants work, because I imagine in my head this tall, slim woman with shaggy hair, with shaggy pants, and an awesome top (wow, first off, I am not tall, second, my hair is pin straight, third I don't own very many "awesome tops").

I've been close to giving up on this look, but then today I saw this post from Inspired by This an excellent blog about wedding insight, and she had posted about Emerson Made, a unique shop with eccentric and adorable clothing. There right in the middle of the page is exactly how I imagine myself in those jeans!


So here's why I'm writing this post. Not because I love my pants, but because there is a difference between how we imagine ourselves in an outfit and how we actually look in it. No, I am not anywhere near as tall as this model, however I can definitely do things to make this look work for me. I can wear shoes with a heal. I'll make sure to have a cute belt, and when I wear these jeans, I'll make sure my top is adorable and not flowy. Double flowy puts me in the 70's. I'm trying to avoid that.

I think the advice is this, while imagining your awesome self in the outfit you're getting ready to purchase, make sure it actually fits you, and that you'll keep up the dreamt look each time you wear it. Otherwise you just have another item in your closet for Salvation Army next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment