Thursday, March 3, 2011

Back to the Beginning

My very first post on Playing with Cards was about being on an all boys' little league team. Last night over dinner my brother and I were talking about recent drama concerning my mom and the town board. My mom is the president of the Rec board in a wealthy little town outside of NYC. Recently a woman on the town board has been asking my mom to resign, because she thinks my mom won't follow through with the town's ideas (more like this woman's personal ideas).

The reason I'm writing is not really about this recent particular issue. It's about what my brother told me. He said the reason my mom ever became involved with the Recreation Department was because of me, and my experience on the all boys' baseball team. I had no idea. Apparently she was very much aware of my discomfort and had recommended to the board creating a girls' little league. The town really liked where her head was and requested she join the board.

This is the woman who has taught me everything about speaking my opinions and pursuing my dreams no matter what society may still believe. She always said, if you see a road block, figure out a way around it.

I'm writing for my mom today, because I want her to realize why she had once joined this board. She needs to not let the bureaucracy get to her, and stick to her passion. Even though right now it seems impossible to stay in the fight, hold tight, you'll figure out a way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment